Welcome here !

ematecki

Re: Welcome here !

Message par ematecki » Mar Juil 09, 2019 2:57 pm

Hello all,

Looks like home here, I know everybody :)

Thomas

Message par Thomas » Mar Juil 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Hey there,

you seem familiar too =p

In any case, make yourself at home, and enjoy the stay !

T_Z

Message par T_Z » Mer Juil 10, 2019 4:02 am

May I ask a question ?

I remember that UE is able to publish for mobile drawing device for Android or iOS tablet.
Have we expect for Praxinos products (ILIAD engine) for mobile like RoughAnimator, a simply line drawing app ?
Spoiler
Show
Not for now but near the future ...

Elodie

Message par Elodie » Mer Juil 10, 2019 5:48 am

hi-taka a écrit :
Lun Juil 08, 2019 3:42 am
Elodie and Fabrice
Thank you for replying to the post.
I saw a 2D animation video moving in a cube.
It is an interesting attempt.
Because we can not judge whether the functions of Illiad itself have a direct effect on 2D animation creators,
First of all, I would like to investigate if Unreal Engine 4 will be useful for our work.
You're welcome !
We will probably do a video about how UE4 can get along with 2D animation in the near future. Stay tuned !
ematecki a écrit :
Mar Juil 09, 2019 2:57 pm
Hello all,

Looks like home here, I know everybody :)
Haha, welcome here Eric ^^
T_Z a écrit :
Mer Juil 10, 2019 4:02 am
Have we expect for Praxinos products (ILIAD engine) for mobile like RoughAnimator, a simply line drawing app ?
Not in the near future, but we have this in mind.
However, I've heard of a future new animation app in progress, for iPad. I will keep you posted as soon as I have any further information ;)

Michael

Message par Michael » Ven Juil 12, 2019 5:12 pm

From what I can gather from the YouTube tutorials UE is a full blown 3d package with complete modeling tools etc. Mostly geared toward games, though.

It made me wonder; will Iliad, and eventually Odyssey, be easy to step in to for 2d animators who aren't quite used to working with 3d applications? Or will those 2d animators need to learn to work with 3d (and/or UE) first before they will be able to fully use Iliad & Odyssey?
Michael Sewnarain - Animator / Story Artist /Animation Filmmaker

https://www.michaelsewnarain.com

Thomas

Message par Thomas » Ven Juil 12, 2019 11:16 pm

UE is indeed more oriented towards the 3D, the very first window that appears when loading an UE project is in fact a 3D viewport.

Despite that, UE is more an assembly line than a real 3D modeling tool (except basic rig, the software doesn't provide any simple way to modify the 3D assets used in a project. That means, no modeling). The current state of UE offers a lot of passerels between various other softwares (Blender, Photoshop...) in order to import 3D and 2D assets inside an UE project.

Once the assets are imported, UE provides tools to place them in the 3D space, apply textures and various maps (color, light, shadow, normal maps...) to 3D assets, and define their properties (collisions, triggers...) to create a sort of level of a video game. You can also change the positions and properties of assets over time using the sequencer of UE.

This has been tweaked by some animation studios to create some scenes and movies, like a cinematic shot from a video game. Like this, UE drops its game maker purpose and becomes a film maker tool.

The main advantage of using UE for animation studios instead of other 3D rendering softwares is based on the fact that UE is a real-time engine. Meaning there is little to no render time when time comes to test different lighting methods, different angles for the camera and so on. So basically, these studios have a huge time gain on this part.

Concerning ILIAD now, it comes as an editing tool imbeded in the software, which, as I said, UE lacks. With it, people will be able to edit their textures (2D canvas usable as maps on any 3D asset) without having to import/export from photoshop or any 2D drawing software. For now, with ILIAD, we're able to edit a single image, and we keep all the UE logic, meaning people will be able to use it at full power if they know how to use UE and its 3D viewport.

With Odyssey, we'll have full control. We'll immediately get rid of most of the UE interface to be the more user-friendly we can be for various animators. We won't ditch the 3D possibilities of UE, but you can imagine something like this: at the start of Odyssey, some presets of projects interface styles will be offered to the user, like storyboard, 2D shot or 3D scene, for example, and depending on the user's choice, a custom interface with only the elements useful to the type of project selectionned will appear. Of course, all the tools of Odyssey will be available, no matter the choice, but they'll be hidden at first, and will only open if the user choose to open them. (for example, the 3D viewport won't show if the user selected a 2D shot project, until the user explicitely tells the software he wants to make the 3D viewport appears.).

Basically, tl;dr : ILIAD will require some knowledge of Unreal Engine. Odyssey won't, and will be a software of his own.

Michael

Message par Michael » Sam Juil 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Thank you for explaining, Thomas.

The graphics card will be quite important to Odyssey then, won't it? Because it will be build with UE as it's foundation?
Michael Sewnarain - Animator / Story Artist /Animation Filmmaker

https://www.michaelsewnarain.com

Thomas

Message par Thomas » Lun Juil 15, 2019 11:17 am

Well, kinda. It's true that most of the work will be done by the graphic card, but Elodie here can use UE4 with a quite crappy graphic card, and the software works anyway.

So, you definitely won't need the last generation of graphic card, a midrange one will do the trick just well.

Elodie

Message par Elodie » Lun Juil 15, 2019 1:45 pm

I confirm : I have at home a quite old laptop from 2013 with a basic chipset that is mostly used for office work, and I can run UE.

D. Nethery

Message par D. Nethery » Mer Juil 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Hello, Everyone -

Thanks for adding me to the Praxinos forum, Elodie .

I've been following your posts on Facebook about the debut of Illiad at Annecy and am eagerly looking forward to seeing how the animation software Odyssey develops.

I think having the option of 3D tools with 2D tools is a good option to have , as Thomas mentioned above:
all the tools of Odyssey will be available, no matter the choice, but they'll be hidden at first, and will only open if the user choose to open them. (for example, the 3D viewport won't show if the user selected a 2D shot project, until the user explicitely tells the software he wants to make the 3D viewport appears.).
My main interest is in hand drawn character animation , but I do find that I am increasingly having to deal with 3D objects combined with hand drawn , so this is interesting to me .

-David

Répondre